The first mention of South Elmsall is in the Domesday Book and is referred to as "Ermeshale", which means the village was under Norman domination; before all this on Field Lane a Stromatolite Reef dating back to the Permion period was discovered by geological experts; on the west side of the reef was sand, and on the east side was Sea which stretched as far as Holland and Germany.
South Elmsall had a local Hero in John Morris born 1619, who at an early age progressed through the ranks from different skirmishes to the rank of Colonel in the Civil War and best remembered for taking Pontefract Castle from the Parliamentarians in 1648.
South Elmsall continued as a small farming village with stone cottages nestling in a valley until the early 1800's, lime quarrying was the industry until coal became the main provider attracting workers from different areas, which in turn had to provide House and Schools to house and educate the growing population. South Elmsall in and around 1800 was the main village for the area.
South Elmsall is now a busy market town situated between Doncaster and Wakefield, with easy access to both, using the local Railway Station on the Leeds/Wakefield line. The Town Centre are adourned with Hanging Baskets and Floral arrangements that enhance the locality of the shopping and market area. The Recreational Ground near by also shows a colourful array of flowers that border the putting and Bowling Greens. On the social side along with the Bowling Club are; the Sea Cadets, Cycling Club, Stroke Club, Inner Wheel, Table Tennis, Whist Club, History Club and the Video Archive Club. Frickley Brass Bands, Frickley Football and Cricket Club are also prominent in the Town.
At the unveiling of the Colliery Memorial it states on the stone "out of these depths this village grows" How true this is!!